Roopkund Trekking Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Plan Your Adventure
Roopkund is a high-altitude glacial lake located in Uttarakhand, India. The Roopkund trek is a popular trekking destination for adventure lovers, especially during the summer months of May to June and September to October. The trek offers stunning views of the Himalayan peaks, lush green forests, and high-altitude meadows.
The trek usually takes around 7-8 days to complete and covers a distance of approximately 53 km. The trek is considered moderately difficult, and trekkers need to be in good physical condition to undertake it. It is recommended to go with a reputable trekking company and to be properly equipped with warm clothing, trekking shoes, and other necessary gear.
To participate in the Roopkund trek, you will need to obtain the necessary permits and make arrangements for transportation, accommodation, and guides. It’s always advisable to plan ahead and make the necessary bookings well in advance to avoid last-minute hassles.
Precautions While Discovering the Mysteries of Roopkund: Trekking to the Glacial Lake
- Prepare well in advance: Trekking in Roopkund requires good physical fitness and preparation. You should start training a few weeks before the trek to improve your endurance and stamina. It’s also important to carry appropriate trekking gear, such as trekking boots, warm clothing, a raincoat, a backpack, and a sleeping bag.
- Drink water: The high altitude and dry climate of Roopkund can lead to dehydration, so it’s important to drink plenty of water and carry water purification tablets or a filter. You can also carry energy drinks or electrolyte supplements to replenish your body’s fluids and salts.
- Acclimatize properly: The high altitude of Roopkund can cause altitude sickness, so it’s important to acclimatize properly before starting the trek. This can be done by spending a day or two in the nearby town of Lohajung or Wan and gradually ascending to higher altitudes.
- Follow the trail and guidelines: The Roopkund trek has well-marked trails, but it’s important to stay on the path and avoid taking shortcuts. You should also follow the guidelines and instructions provided by your trek leader or guide to ensure your safety.
- Respect the environment: Roopkund is a fragile and pristine ecosystem, so it’s important to minimize your impact on the environment. Avoid littering, carry all your waste back with you, and follow the principles of Leave No Trace. You should also avoid disturbing the flora and fauna, and refrain from lighting campfires in the forest.
Is Roopkund Trek Difficult?
Yes, the Roopkund Trek is said to be difficult to some extent. The trek involves walking for a few days at high altitudes, with the highest point of the trek reaching an altitude of around 5,029 meters (16,499 feet). The area can be irregular or rough and hilly at times, and the weather can be unpredictable, so it’s important to be in the good physical condition and have proper trekking gear. Trekkers should also be prepared for the effects of high altitudes, such as shortness of breath and fatigue. However, with proper preparation and a positive attitude, the Roopkund Trek can be a fulfilling adventure. It’s recommended to go with a reputable trekking company and to be properly equipped with warm clothing, trekking shoes, and other necessary gear.
How Many Skeletons Were Found in Roopkund?
In 1942, a British forest guard discovered a large number of skeletons in Roopkund Lake. Since then, several expeditions and research studies have been conducted to determine the cause of death of these individuals. According to the latest research, it is estimated that over 300 individuals lost their lives in or around Roopkund Lake, possibly during a severe hailstorm or heavy snowfall in the 9th century CE. However, the exact number of skeletons found in Roopkund Lake is difficult to determine due to the decay of bones over time and the fact that some may have been abolished or misplaced over the years.
What Will Be the Total Expense for a Roopkund Trek?
Depending on several factors, the total expense for a Roopkund trek may vary including the duration of the trek, the type of accommodation chosen, the mode of transportation, the trekking company or guide chosen, the location you choose to start your trek, and other miscellaneous expenses. Here is a rough estimate of the expenses you should expect to meet with during a Roopkund trek:
1. Trekking company or guide fee: The fee charged by the trekking company or tour guide can vary from INR 8,500 to INR 15,000 per person depending on the services and locations included and the duration of the trek which is mainly a minimum of 8 days.
2. Accommodation: The cost of accommodation during the trek can range from INR 500 to INR 2,000 per night depending on the type of accommodation chosen, such as tents or guesthouses.
3. Food and water: The cost of food and water during the trek can range from INR 500 to INR 1,500 per day, depending on the type of food chosen and the location of the trek. Depending upon the different trekking companies, food and water may be included in your accommodation or hotel bills such as Raftaar Adventure.
4. Transportation: The cost of transportation to the starting point of the trek and back can range from INR 2,000 to INR 5,000 per person, depending on the mode of transportation chosen.
5. Trekking gear: The cost of trekking gear such as shoes, backpacks, jackets, and sleeping bags can range from INR 5,000 to INR 10,000 per person, depending on the quality and brand.
On an average, the total expense for a Roopkund trek lies between INR 15,000 to INR 35,000 per person, depending on the factors mentioned above. It’s important to do research and compare different trekking companies and guides and choose the one that fits within budget and provides the best services.